The sticky chemical reason behind vaping illness
Vitamin E acetate is a common vitamin supplement, and it is also found in dermatological products such as skin creams.
The New York State Department of Health has announced new findings that might be the reason behind illness caused by Vaping. A new report has found high levels of Vitamin E acetate in all cannabis-containing samples analysed by the department.
What is Vitamin E acetate?
Vitamin E acetate is a common vitamin supplement, and it is also found in dermatological products such as skin creams. But both of these uses causes no evident harm to the user. The Department is now trying to look at the adverse effects of the chemical once its inhaled. They say that its oil-like properties could be the reason behind the observed symptoms in the users.
The report mentions that at least one vape product containing vitamin E acetate has been linked to each of the patients who submitted a product for testing.
It is not an approved additive by the department but Vitamin E acetate has not been detected in nicotine-based products.
Now, the department is focused on finding the potential cause of vaping-associated pulmonary illnesses related to vitamin E acetate.
The Wadsworth Center of the department is testing cannabis and nicotine-containing vape products. Multiple samples of a single product used by patients are being tested. These were tested for a range of substances including THC and cannabis-derived cannabinoids, nicotine, synthetic cannabinoids, opioids and pesticides.
The department warns of not using unregulated products purchased "off the street." The warning also includes not modifying vape products or adding any other substance not intended by the manufacturer.
The symptoms of vaping-associated pulmonary (lung-related) illnesses include cough, shortness of breath and chest pain. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, Fatigue, fever, headache and weight loss.
Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker says "We urge the public to be vigilant about any vaping products that they or any family members may be using and to immediately contact their health care provider if they develop any unusual symptoms.”
A few months ago India banned e-cigarettes after seeing illness caused because of vaping. Many people have died because of vaping caused lung disease in United States, a country where e-cigarettes are consumed more.