Tech News Brief: Google Nest Hub, Microsoft Bluetooth Bug, Apple Watch saving lives and more
A feature that measures the heart's activity (ECG) on Apple's Watch series 4 has saved the life of another woman.
1. Google launches Nest Hub in India: Google has launched its 7-inch smart display speaker priced at Rs 9,999 in India. It can control over 200 million products from 3,500 brands.
Google Nest Hub has pre-installed the app, including Google Assistant, to access information from various sources like YouTube Music, Gaana, Spotify, NDTV Food, and Tarladalal.com. The company is offering a Xiaomi Mi Security Camera worth Rs 1,799 for free with the device.
The device was first launched in October 2018 in the US.
2. Google Pay Dark Mode: Google is planning to launch dark mode on its digital wallet platform, which is expected to be released in a few days. A system-wide dark mode is expected to come with Android 10 on Android running devices.
3. Microsoft Bluetooth Bug: Microsoft has admitted that Bluetooth speakers are not working after update 4505903 (version 1903) is installed on Windows 10. The update was released in May 2019.
The company has provided a manual workaround for the problem. It is expected to release a fixed version of Windows soon. If you have updated your computer recently and facing a Bluetooth connection problem, it can be fixed by following the steps mentioned on Microsoft’s website.
4. Apple Watch saves another life: A feature that measures the heart's activity (ECG) on Apple's Watch series 4 has saved the life of another woman.
The watch detected Atrial Fibrillation—abnormal heart rhythm—of a user named Anne Rowe from Alabama in the US. Later, she went to the doctor who confirmed the symptoms and underwent surgery. She credits Apple Watch 4, a gift from her husband, for saving her life.
5. Microsoft Bug Bounty Programme: Microsoft has launched a programme that will award cybersecurity experts for finding flaws in its Chromium Edge Browser. The rewards will range from $1,000 to $30,000.
Providing information about spoofing and tampering reports will earn $1,000 to $6,000. Finding flaws like Information disclosure and remote code execution will earn $1,000 to $10,000. Elevation of privilege vulnerability will earn $5,000 to $15,000.
If a user is able to find both Elevation of Privilege flaw and flaw in Windows Defender Application Guard, he/she will be awarded $30,000.