Sonia Gandhi asks PM Modi: if China hasn’t captured territory in Galwan, why were our 20 jawans martyred?
On June 26, Sonia Gandhi pointed out the loopholes in PM Modi’s statement. She said the army personnel, defence experts and media reports – based on the satellite images – have confirmed the Chinese infiltration in Galwan valley. The Congress president asked, “When will the Modi government regain control of the territories captured in Ladakh by China?”
The Congress Party is trying to corner the incumbent Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over the Galwan Indo-China stand-off and the martyrdom of 20 Indian jawans. On Friday, the Congress leadership, including interim president Sonia Gandhi and former Defence Minister AK Antony, questioned the Narendra Modi government’s stand on the Galwan crisis.
Sonia Gandhi said, “Today when the situation on the Indo-China border is tense, the Centre cannot run away from its responsibilities.”
Questioning PM Modi’s stand on the Galwan crisis, she said, “The Prime Minister maintains that there has been no incursion on the Indian border and territory. But the Foreign Ministry and Defence Minister have mentioned the presence of the Chinese army in large numbers and Chinese infiltration on a number of occasions.”
PM Modi, during the all-party meeting, had maintained that there has been no incursion by the Chinese armed forces into Indian Territory.
On June 26, Gandhi pointed out the loopholes in PM Modi’s statement. She further added that army personnel, defence experts and media reports – based on the satellite images – have confirmed the Chinese infiltration in Galwan valley.
“If China has not captured our territory in Ladakh, as claimed by the PM, then why and how were our 20 jawans martyred? When will the Modi government regain control of the territories captured in Ladakh by China?” the Congress president asked.
Meanwhile, earlier in the day, BJP president J P Nadda claimed that the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund donated money to the "family-run" Rajiv Gandhi Foundation (RGF) when the Congress-led UPA was in power. He accused the Congress of indulging in “brazen fraud" and said that “the donation to the RGF” was a “big betrayal to the people of India”.
On Thursday, Nadda had targeted the Gandhi family for allegedly accepting donations to the RGF from the Chinese embassy. He has also posted a photograph of the documents as proof.
However, the Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala accused the BJP and Nadda of playing a "diabolical game of deception" to divert attention from the alleged Chinese occupation of Indian territory.