Pakistan grants consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav
New Delhi says it is evaluating Pakistan's offer of access to Kulbhushan Jadhav
Pakistan has said that it will allow consular access to Indian citizen Kulbhushan Jadhav on Friday. This information was given by the Pakistan Foreign Office.
On July 17, the International Court in The Hague, Netherlands, ordered Pakistan to grant consular access to Jadhav.
The Indian Foreign Ministry has said that it was evaluating the Pakistani proposal in the light of the International Court's decision.
The 49-year-old Jadhav, retired from the Indian Navy, was sentenced to death by a military court in Pakistan in April 2017. He has been charged with spying and fomenting terrorism.
International court verdict
India had appealed in the international court in May 2017 against the decision of aPakistani military court.
Abdelkawi Ahmed Yusuf, chairman of the bench of 16 judges of the International Court, had ruled with the majority on July 17, 15-1. The court ordered Pakistan to review the death sentence and provide diplomatic access to India without any delay.
His mother and wife met Kulbhushan Jadhav in Pakistan's Foreign Ministry in Islamabad.
The International Court rejected the objections of Pakistan in accepting India's appeal in its 42-page verdict.
The court also dismissed some of India's demands, including the cancellation of the military court's decision and the demand for release of Kulbhushan Jadhav and bringing him safely to India.
Pakistan had allowed Kulbhushan Jadhav's mother and his wife to meet him last year. This meeting took place at the Pakistan Foreign Office's office.
[Autotranslated from Hindi]