New COVID-19 cluster emerges in China, over 8,000 people quarantined
Shulan, which declared “wartime measures” on Sunday after domestic transmission occurred, remains the high-risk area, while Fengman and Chuanying districts -- two areas in Jilin -- remain medium-risk areas.
More than 8,000 people have been quarantined in and around the Chinese city of Shulan -- in the northeastern province of Jilin – amid a new coronavirus outbreak, according to a report in a state-run daily.
So far, more than 4,600 people have died as a result of the deadly virus in China while over 84,000 have been infected, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.
Shulan is one of a number of places across China -- including Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus was first detected late last year -- to report new cases since the country gradually began reopening this month.
Last week, the city initiated "wartime measures" to fight the new infections. Fengman and Chuanying districts -- two areas in Jilin -- remain medium-risk areas.
National level health and inspection teams have been dispatched to the area. According to the Global Times, the city's Communist Party chief, Li Pengfei, has also been sacked.
Speaking to state media during a tour of Jilin on Saturday, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan called for "more decisive, precise, flexible and effective measures in regular epidemic prevention and control to avoid further spread of the COVID-19 outtbreak."
Chinese health authorities said Sunday that there were five new confirmed coronavirus cases on Saturday, two of which were imported.
The three other cases were the result of domestic transmission and all were reported in Jilin province, the National Health Commission said.