#MeToo in Bollywood: Tanushree Dutta slams Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt goes missing from Kalank promotions
The MeToo wave in India continues as Tanushree Dutta slams Ajay Devgn for working with Alok Nath. On the other hand, Sanjay Dutt was reportedly made to stay away from Kalank promotions.
Actor Alok Nath who has been accused of sexual harassment by writer Vinta Nanda was recently spotted in the trailer of Ajay Devgn starrer De De Pyaar De. After the release of the trailer, several eyebrows were raised with regards to his presence in the film despite being accused of sexual harassment and rape. When Ajay Devgn, the lead actor of the film was questioned about Alok Nath’s presence in the film, he chose to not answer the question. He said, “This is not the right place to talk about it. Jinki aap baat kar rahe hai woh film uske pehle complete hui (the film had been completed before the allegations surfaced against the person).”
Now, actress Tanushree Dutta, who is considered the face of the #MeToo movement in India, slammed Ajay Devgn and the makers of the film ‘De De Pyaar De’. “Tinsel town is full of liars, show-offs, and spineless hypocrites. And it seems by a large public consensus that the signpost is pointing currently at Ajay Devgn,” she said in a statement.
The actress said that it was possible to reshoot Alok Nath’s scenes once the allegations against him were made public, “but no, they had to keep the alleged rapist in their film and rub it on not only (accuser Vinta Nanda’s) but on all our faces”. Accusing Ajay of ‘supporting (Alok Nath) in making a comeback to Bollywood’, she added, “Nobody even knew before the posters and trailers that Alok Nath is in the film so if Ajay Devgan and the makers wanted they could have just quietly replaced him and re-shot his portions.”
In the wake of the #MeToo movement, Ajay had expressed his support on social media and added that he wouldn’t work with anyone who has been accused of any wrongdoing in the future.
I’m disturbed by all the happenings with regards to #MeToo. My company and I believe in providing women with utmost respect and safety. If anyone has wronged even a single woman, neither ADF nor I will stand for it.— Ajay Devgn (@ajaydevgn) October 12, 2018
On the other hand, actor Sanjay Dutt who is part of the star cast of Kalank was not seen during the promotion of the film after the trailer was released. According to the reports doing the rounds, the reason Sanjay Dutt is missing from the promotional activities of the film is because of the support he extended towards Rajkumar Hirani. The ‘Munnabhai’ director was recently accused of harassment by a woman who worked with him on the film Sanju.
The makers of Kalank then reportedly had to sideline Dutt from the promotions of the film. Aditya Roy Kapur, Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, and Sonakshi Sinha were the only actors who were seen during the promotion of the film. However, it is said that the move has affected Madhuri Dixit-Nene's appearance at promotions as well since she is romantically paired opposite the actor in the film.