Maharashtra coronavirus tally rises to 124; death toll is 4
The current death toll in Maharashtra is four. Two more people in the state tested positive on Thursday, taking its coronavirus tally to 124.
In Maharashtra, the total number of COVID-19 cases has gone up to 124 as two more persons tested positive on Thursday, health officials said. Separately, the test report of a woman who died on March 24 turned out positive for coronavirus, taking the death toll in the state to four.
Till Tuesday, 2,988 people were admitted to isolation wards of hospitals in Maharashtra since January 18, while 932 persons were in hospital quarantine for suspected exposure to the virus. As many as 14,502 people were put under home quarantine, officials said.
Talking about the woman who died earlier this week, a health official said that she had symptoms similar to the coronavirus infection. Thus, as a precautionary measure, her samples were taken and sent for testing.
"The test came out positive this morning. We are now taking the necessary precautions for her relatives as well," the official said. The woman hailed from Navi Mumbai.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Congress spokesperson Sanjay Lakhe Patil has said social distancing is only a defensive option to tackle the coronavirus crisis and defence alone cannot help win a match.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, he alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi "misled" the country by saying social distancing and lockdown is the only option to tackle the epidemic.
Lakhe Patil said the World Health Organisation's director general (DG) has categorically stated that this is a "defensive option" and defence can't win match.
This is not a foolproof solution to win against COVID-19 and the WHO official aggressively advocated to choose the offensive measures, he said.
"To win, we need to attack the virus with aggressive and targeted tactics - testing every suspected case, isolating and caring for every confirmed case and tracing and quarantining every close contact," Lakhe Patil said, quoting WHO's top official.
The Congress leader further said the WHO official also advised some more measures, including protection of hospital staff.
"But unfortunately, the PM has been silent on this part and declared 21-day total lockout, not following the guidelines as envisaged under the Disaster Management Act- 2005," he said.
"If we as nation do not adopt aggressive measures as guided by WHO DG and welfare measures as guided under the Disaster Management Act, my fear isthe situation will worsen after 21 days," he said.
The number of total novel coronavirus cases reported in India has climbed to 606. The 606 positive cases include 43 foreign nationals, according to the Health Ministry.