UAE: Indian expat succumbs to his injuries after saving wife from fire
Anil Ninan, from Kerala, suffered 90 per cent burns in the February 10 incident.
A 32-year-old Indian expat has died in the UAE after sustaining severe burn injuries in an attempt to save his wife from a fire at their home in Abu Dhabi last week.
Anil Ninan hailed from Kerala and lived with his family in Umm Al Quwain. The accident happened last Monday following a fire in their apartment.
Ninan sustained 90 per cent burn injuries in the fire. His wife Neenu also suffered injuries in the incident, however her condition is said to be stable, the Khaleej Times reported.
"This is a difficult time for us. His wife Neenu is still recovering at the hospital. She is safe. But, all of us are shocked at his death," a close relative was quoted in the report. It is suspected a short circuit caused the fire at Ninan's home.
"We do not know the exact details. But Neenu first caught fire while she was in the corridor. Anil, who was in the bedroom, ran to his wife and was trying to save her when the flames spread to him," Sojan Thomas, vicar of St. Thomas Mar Thoma Church in Ras Al Khaimah, told the daily.
The couple, who has a four-year-old son, was rushed to the Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital in Umm al Quwain and was later shifted to Mafraq hospital in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday for critical care.
Thomas said that Neenu’s parents, who also live with them, were not in the apartment when the incident happened. “Her mother had gone to her sister’s house in Dubai and her father was in his shop in Umm Al Quwain.”
Mohammad Moideen, general secretary of the Indian Association in Umm Al Quwain, said the community members were shocked and saddened to know about the tragedy that struck the family, according to Gulf News.