Daily GFX: What India can do with all the money its temples make
God doesn’t need all that money — or, any for that matter.
Temples can be found across the length and breadth in india; in your city, locality and even one inside your house.
But it beats me, how this devotion actually translates into donations. Alright, take a guess: how much wealth do you think the richest 10 temples have? Rs 10 crore, 50 crore, 100 crore? Well, it’s Rs 1.5 lakh crore.
Of course, that is a huge amount. Now we all know god doesn’t need all that money — or, any money for that matter.
Let’s see what all we can do with that amount:
- The irony of our country is that it ranks second in total food production but ranks 103 among 119 countries in the 2018 global hunger index. And this, despite allocating Rs 1.9 lakh crore to provide subsidised food grains to two-thirds of the country’s population. with an additional Rs 1.5 lakh crore help, we might possibly rid our country of hunger.
- We could have more than twice the funds allocated for MGNREGA. This way we could greatly reduce rural poverty.
- The national education budget allocation can be increased 4 times. This could help revamp the government schools, and have more teachers, better infrastructure and aids like digital classrooms.
- Imagine about 6 times increase in the ICDS scheme that takes care of food, preschool education, and primary healthcare of children under 6. Rest assured, our next gen won’t be anaemic, or malnourished.
- And, for our youth, with this Rs 1.5 lakh cr, we could have 42 IITs and 47 IIMs in each state.