Danish PM postpones her wedding to attend COVID-19 meeting
EU leaders are scheduled to meet face-to-face on July 17 for the first time since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic to discuss the European budget and the plans for recovery from the COVID-19 crisis.
Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has postponed her wedding to attend the European Council meeting in July, she said in an Instagram post. EU leaders are scheduled to meet face-to-face on July 17 for the first time since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic to discuss the European budget and the plans for recovery from the COVID-19 crisis.
"I'm so looking forward to marrying this man," wrote Frederiksen in a post that featured herself and her fiance Bo Tengberg. "The Council meeting in Brussels has been convened exactly on the Saturday in July when we had planned our wedding. Damn. But, I have to do my job and protect Denmark's interests."
"I'm looking forward to saying yes to Bo (who is fortunately very patient)," she added. See the post here:
Jeg glæder mig så meget til at blive gift med den her fantastiske mand. Men helt let skal det åbenbart ikke være, og nu er der indkaldt til Rådsmøde i Bruxelles lige præcis den lørdag i juli, hvor vi havde planlagt bryllup. Øv. Men jeg skal jo passe mit arbejde og varetage Danmarks interesser. Så vi må endnu engang ændre planer ???? Størst af alt er kærligheden ❤️ Og det skal nok lykkes snart at blive gift. Jeg glæder mig til at sige ja til Bo (der heldigvis er meget tålmodig) ????♀️
A post shared by Mette Frederiksen (@mette) on
Denmark has recorded 12,836 coronavirus cases and 603 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University tally.
Meanwhile, German Deputy Finance Minister Joerg Kukies said on Friday that finalising the European Union's package of measures to help the economy recover from the pandemic is a "massive priority" for Germany's presidency of the EU.
EU leaders agreed in April to build a trillion-euro emergency fund to help the 27-nation bloc rebound from the pandemic, but the final details have yet to be agreed. "We really need to act quickly now if we want the funds to be available on January 1, 2021," Kukies told an online event.
It is not possible to "sugar-coat" the severity of the economic crisis being faced by Europe, and things could get worse before they get better, he said.
The WHO in Europe had warned last month that European countries should brace themselves for a deadly second wave of coronavirus infections in winter.
Dr Hans Kluge, director of the World Health Organisation in Europe, said now was the time to prepare for the second wave of the virus as the continent sees falling rates of the virus. Kluge said that increased public health resources and a building of capacity in hospitals, primary and intensive care units, ought to be the priority.
Citing evidence of the 1918-20 Spanish Flu pandemic, England's chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, and other experts warned that a second wave could be deadlier than the first.